I have good, bad, and amazing news. The new good news is that I have great hair. The bad news is that you don’t. The amazing news is that I’m going to help you fix that! I will review some things that guys with good hair never do.
You will NEVER find guys with great hair …
- Using an all-in-one shampoo-conditioner. Never use a shampoo-conditioner combo. These two products do different things. Shampoos clean your hair, removing oil and dirt. Conditioners replace the hydration that was lost during shampooing. If you want the sexiest hair possible, use a conditioner. It hydrates and replenishes your hair as well as smooths the hair shaft.
- Not using a pre-styler. Prestylers will literally change your hair’s life. You’ll get more volume, texture, and piece-y separation. You also won’t need to use as much hair product.
- Using cheap hair products. If you upgrade the quality of your products, you’ll see an instant difference in how your hair looks. Your hair will also be healthier because drugstore or grocery store products are low-quality and can damage and dry your hair.
- Using too much & the wrong product. If your hair is performing differently than you want, try using less product. Use the right amount of product. Also, use a pre-styler, emulsify your products, and work the products down to the root to cover the entire shaft. Also, too many guys think every hairstyle should use a pomade, putty, clay, or paste. Depending on your hairstyle, texture, and length, as well as what you want to do with your hair, will determine what product you should be using.
- Using cheap hair dryers. Not all hair dryers were created equally. Some hair dryers can damage and dry out your hair because they get too hot. If you go with something like a Dyson, it’s faster with performance but is expensive. It’s worth it because when I switched from a cheap hair dryer to this one, I noticed an immediate difference in how quickly I could style my hair and how it looked. Many people aren’t willing to spend $400 on a hair dryer. My buddy Travis did a review on a Lathan Swift hair dryer, and I had him hook me up with one. I’ll tell you, it’s the best hair dryer I’ve ever used. It is even better than the Dyson.
- Waiting too long between haircuts. You need to know what your cadence is. If your hair grows extra fast, you need to go in sooner. But if you have a longer hairstyle, perhaps you can push it up to 5 weeks. A pro tip is to make an appointment for your next cut before you leave the salon or shop, so you don’t wait. Don’t walk around with wack-ass grown-out hair.
- Forcing their hair to do something it’s not intended to do. Be honest about your hair type, texture, and density. It won’t have a flow style if you have super curly or kinky hair. On the flip side, if you have super fine hair, don’t try a hairstyle requiring a lot of volume. Use Google and search for your type of texture and face shape to get ideas. You’ll find a ton of different images and then narrow it down to one that you love and can work with.
Barber versus hair stylist
Barbers are better at fading and short hairstyles that don’t require a lot of texture or finesse. The hairstylist is better trained with scissors and razors to make piece-y separations and to give your hair depth and dimension. When you get your hair cut and styled, bring the product your presently using with you. They can help you use that product or help you choose a better product. When you’re done getting your haircut, have the barber or stylist use the product on your hair. They can help you style it better and show you how much product you should use. Always make sure to tip them!
How to choose the best style for your face shape
Check out the chart in this video that shows different hairstyles based on face shapes. You’ll get an idea and understanding of what I’m talking about, where your hair will compliment and contrast with your face.