Let’s Talk About Mental Health
Alpha has Paul McGregor in the house from the UK. He was Alpha’s first ever sponsorship! In this video men’s style, grooming, fitness and lifestyle expert, Aaron Marino of IAmAlphaM, AaronMarino, and Pete & Pedro says it was back in 2010 and consisted of watches & scarves.
In 2009, Paul started his online business because he had lost his dad suddenly to suicide. From StyleCon (the name of MENfluential Conference a few years ago) where he talked about mental health, he shifted his content, and mission from style to mental health. Losing his dad was a huge shock which Paul distracted himself with running his business. But now he’s shifting his focus to mental illness by talking about mental health issues to help the next generation be better equipped. He wants the stigma to be eliminated.
Paul and Alpha discuss how Instagram presents a false perception of others life. Alpha discusses his mental health journey and therapy from this teens to his twenties. Paul and Alpha’s tips regarding mental health include:
- Education is key, and therapy is also an important tool to deal with mental health.
- If you’re struggling, therapy is a step. You may have to try several (or more) to find the right match.
- Don’t isolate yourself.
- Talking about the situation is strength, and it can get better gradually. It’s not a quick fix.
- Exercise can also help to get you through a dark time.
- Make sure to be around healthy and happy people.
- Back off of social media.
- Create little successes in your life to celebrate.
If you see someone struggling, show compassion to allow them to feel safe and open up. Ask how they’re doing twice sometimes to get them to open up. It’s also more than what they’re saying — understand the gradual behavioral changes too.